The ASFS was saddened to hear of the passing of Emeritus Professor Colin Nettelbeck FAHA. Colin was an eminent intellectual, researcher, teacher and friend to many of us. He played a pivotal role in the Society in its early years after its founding, including serving as President. Colin was made a life member of the Society in 2015. Although Colin was a leading force within French Studies, he also contributed greatly to the study and teaching of languages and cultures more broadly within Australia and led several other associations, including LCNAU and ISFAR. He was a great mentor to many members of the Society and he had a special interest in supporting postgraduate students and early-career academics. To this end, we established a fund in his honour last year to support postgraduates and ECRs and we are pleased to open this again to mark this solemn occasion.
The Colin Nettelbeck Prize is for postgraduate or precariously-employed early career researcher members of the Society, and is designed to support research and travel costs with funds of up to $1000 for a French Studies-related project, including:
- Travel for research-related purposes, such as to present at a conference, conduct archival research, travel to a cotutelle institution, etc.,
- Other research-related costs, such as research assistance, essential software/ training/ resources, etc.
Applicants must be:
- Either currently enrolled in or recently graduated (within the last 5 years) from a postgraduate research degree at an Australian or New Zealand university in a French Studies-related field,
- Not yet employed in a full-time academic position,
- Current members of the Australian Society for French Studies.
Applications must include:
- A one-page proposal presenting the candidate, research project and expected outcomes of the funded activities,
- A budget outlining the proposed costs,
- Where applicable, evidence of acceptance of a paper to a relevant national or international conference, or of acceptance into a cotutelle program or visiting fellowship,
- The details of one referee able to support the application.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 December 2022.